Hi, I’m Michael (He/Him/His).
I am a passionate engineer committed to solving hard problems using the latest technologies while maintaining high standards for quality and maintainability.
Specializing in distributed systems, I am a big proponent of cloud infrastructure and containerization technologies. I believe that leveraging the cloud, we are freed up to focus on the most important aspects of our projects; the components that differentiate and drive business value.
I primarily focus on backend systems and Infrastructure as Code (IaC), where my expertise in cloud architecture and experience building multi-region redundant systems comes into play. I believe in designing with the expectation of system failure and building redundancy into every project. I strive for simple solutions, preferring to focus on maintainability and modularity over ‘clever’ solutions.
The unavoidable price of reliability is simplicity. – C.A.R. Hoare
Remember that there is no code faster than no code. – Kevlin Henney
Controlling complexity is the essence of computer programming. – Brian Kernighan
Originally from rural southern Illinois, I now work remotely out of the Duluth, Minnesota area.
- I’ve primarily worked in the Anti-fraud and Ad-tech spaces, building high-throughput, event driven systems operating at huge scales
- Experience integrating Machine Learning models into production systems
- Building cloud abstractions via IaC for other development teams to leverage for their applications
- 11+ years of experience in software development
- 3+ years experience leading a team of 4+ software engineers (technical team lead)
- Previously a tech lead over 2 engineer teams (10+ engineers) responsible for architectural roadmap (30-50% coding)
- Experienced building cloud native services as well as traditional on-premise applications
- Have experience building and maintaining IaC providers (Pulumi & Terraform) for 1st party APIs
- Golang micro-services leveraging Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Containers orchestrated by Kubernetes (EKS and self-hosted)
- Serverless with Lambda and API Gateway where it makes sense
- Event driven architectures using AWS Kinesis, Kafka, and NSQ
- Infrastructure define and managed by Pulumi (also experienced with Terraform)
Interested in hiring me?
I’m not currently looking for new opportunities. However, if you have a particularly interesting role, please reach out. Do note that I only consider remote positions at this time.
For recruiting inquiries, please send details to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your full contact details and a description of the position. Alternatively you can contact me via LinkedIn. Mention the code word “pumpernickel” to not be filtered out as automated recruiter spam.